Unpaid leave is allowed at the request of the employee, and the employer cannot unilaterally grant this type of leave without requesting it.
During the declared state of emergency in the Republic of Bulgaria, the employer is obliged to allow the use of unpaid leave at the request of:
- Pregnant worker and an advanced worker in vitro
- Mother or adoptive parent of a child up to 12 years of age or of a disabled child regardless of age
- Worker or employee who is a single father or adoptive parent of a child up to 12 years of age or a disabled child, regardless of age
- Worker or employee who is under 18 years of age
- Employee with permanent disability of 50 and more than 50 percent
- Employee with the right to protection upon dismissal under Art. 333, para. 1, items 2 and 3