New requirements for the legal entities pursuant to the Measures against Money Laundering Act

European Union provides to every resident a number of advantages in terms of independent choice – rights to move, reside and work freely within the territory of the Member States.

How about the third-country residents such as Ukraine and Russia? Are they also entitled to move within the EU having similar rights and job opportunities?

Yes, this is possible upon specific rules, conditions and policies of the host country.

Obtaining of EU Blue Card is one of the most commonly used methods lately, which provides a residence and work permit in Bulgaria. This permission is designed to allow third-country residents with rights to reside and work freely if they have an employment contract upon highly-qualified labor conditions.

What means highly-qualified labor?

According to the Bulgarian Legislation that is a person who possesses all necessary skills and has university degree gained after at least three years of education. The latest trends in our country are such qualified non-EU specialists to be employed in the IT sector, Medicine or occupy key positions as Managers in other industries.

There are several key conditions to be met by the non-EU residents in order to apply for Blue Card:

  • Visa D (for a long stay with a validity of up to 6 months)
  • Employment contract with a local Employer no shorter than 12 months
  • Highly-qualified employment permit, issued by The Bulgarian Employment Agency
  • The gross salary shall be at least 1,5 times higher than the average wage in Bulgaria for the last 12 months
  • The offered working conditions and remuneration shall be relevant to those for the Bulgarian employees

If the person and the working conditions meet the requirements mentioned above, then the applicant may receive a Blue Card for the duration of the employment contract, which may vary between 12 months and 4 years. During the first two years of the contact, the Blue Card holder has to work exclusively at the territory of Bulgaria, then may pursues the same activity to another EU Member State. The contract could be terminated by both parties according the terms laid on it. At the same time, family members can also obtain a long-term residence permit as long as they have insured housing, health insurance and sufficient means of subsistence.

Whether you are an Employer who wants to hire a third-country citizen employee or you are a non-EU citizen who wants to apply for a Blue Card job you need to know that the procedure is complicated and subject to some limitations. Both parties have commitments to be fulfilled within the specified deadlines.

The Employer submits an application for a highly qualified work permit to the Bulgarian Employment Agency. At the same time the third-country resident employee submits an application along with set of documents to the Migration Directorate at the Ministry of the Interior.

It’s very important to know that if the applicant holds Visa C (for a short stay for the purpose of transit or a planned stay on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria), the latter should request its cancellation, thus the presence is incompatible with the Blue Card permit.

Further information about the procedure you can find here:

Learn how Sb Team can assist you at

Our professional legal advisors have significant experience to prepare and advise about all necessities in compliance with the Bulgarian legislation and local requirements for the issuing of EU Blue Card Residence and Work Permit.

Sb Accounting & Consulting Team
World Expertise Personal Care